Friday, May 28, 2010

My Vermicomposting worms arrived!

Worms? you ask. . . . yes I'm a weirdo (if you weren't already aware of that), and I now have pet worms. Why? Well, beside the fact that I'm a weirdo, the worms will eat most of my kitchen scraps. . . things like apple cores and and bits of vegetables that I don't eat. After they eat it, they poop. The poop is nutrient rich fertilizer that can be used in houseplants, as well as my patio garden outside. I don't think any of it will make it out into the patio garden this year though. The worms don't eat and poop fast enough. Oh, and the technical term for worm poop is "castings"



I tried getting my worms from a source near where I live . . . close enough that they were only about a fifteen minute drive away. Unfortunately, they didn't have their act together, and after several attempts to purchase worms from them, I gave up and ordered some from another supplier on the other side of town.

Want to know more about vermicomposting . . . check out the links below:

No comments:

Post a Comment