Friday, May 14, 2010

Recent rain we had did a good job of filling up the reservoirs on my self watering containers. I decided to top them off, but as soon as I began adding water, it started draining out of the overflow holes. Nice to see that they're working as they're supposed to. My upside down tomatoes are growing nicely, so I thinned the plants down to one per hole as the instructions said to do, then hung them up. My experiment at growing lettuce indoors didn't work so well. The lettuce grew long and spindly, and never formed a good structure to hold itself upright. I stuck it outside to see if it recovers. In the picture below, you can see a comparison of how my indoor lettuce(lowest container) progressed, compared to the lettuce I had growing outside(upper two containers) in self watering containers. The indoor lettuce was assisted by a grow light for a few hours a day, and sat in direct sunlight several hours for the first month it was growing. The sun no longer shines in my patio window where I had placed the lettuce. I still have mint growing in a pot there, and while it's not growing as fast as the mint I have outside, it seems to be holding up better.

No comments:

Post a Comment