Sunday, April 25, 2010

We had some of our first serious rain last night since I put out my containers. Going outside to check on things this morning, it looks like the drain holes did their job, and prevented water from building up inside the containers. Looking down into the reservoir through the filling bottles, I can see that the water level was at or near the top of the reservoir(at the end of the bottle), but not higher. The soil in the containers is damp, but not soggy. I might set up my third container this afternoon. . . or I might go for a bike ride. Still trying to decide.

I'm not too sure about my upside down tomato plants. I've followed the instructions, but they don't seem to be growing too fast compared to some of my other plants. Most of the time they're indoors in a sunny spot, boosted by a grow light. This combination seems to please my indoor lettuce, as it's growing better than the outdoor lettuce I have in the self watering containers. The upside down tomatoes don't seem to get the same benefit. Their growth is slow. Following the directions, I'm supposed to select the best plant out of each hole, and remove the others. I haven't done this yet, since I'm waiting on a little more growth to get the right ones. I'm not supposed to flip the thing upside down until the plants get four inches high. Looks like I might be waiting a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment